Thursday, April 9, 2015

Books of March

I have been reading at a frantic pace despite my frantic work schedule. Am trying to wrap up "Bring up the Bodies" by Hilary Mantel before we get too far with the PBS Series Wolf Hall. Don't know if I can, but am making very good progress.

In the meantime I've been reading a number of smaller books (smaller in size, not in stature). The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd was one that I've seen many times in the library, but finally picked it up this time. I loved the book as it is an ode to sisterhood. Raising bees or children - the things we can achieve with a sisterhood to back us up!

I also read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" by Mark Haddon. I enjoyed this one a lot too - told from a differently enabled child's view point, and written in a very different style. I am saving this book for my daughter to read at an appropriate age.

Ursula Le Gunn has been our bedtime storyteller this past month. My daughter still enjoys my read-aloud to her before bed, and so I picked "Wizard of Earthsea" as our book as I am coming to these books for the first time too. Now I know why she is idolized by so many other SF writers. She is truly the master/mistress of her craft.

Also completed Neil Gaiman's Stardust. Of all the books by Gaiman that I have read, i think Stardust was my least favorite. Somehow it was hard for me to get into the story.

I have also been reading the writings of John Muir in anticipation of our trip to Yosemite. A poet, prophet, scientist, activist all rolled into one. The man towers as high as some of the giant rocks and trees and waterfalls in the parks he tried to protect. More about him and our trip in my next post.

In all this while it certainly looks like I have abandoned OBOC, it is not completely true. I only abandoned Paraguay as it was so hard to get my mind around Augusto Roa Bastos' I, the Supreme. Too hard, and too time consuming and not at all fun. Am onto Philippines instead and hoping it will be relatively easier.

For April, I have Bring up the Bodies, Far Pavilions, Illustrado and maybe a Dalrymple non-fiction. Too ambitious? Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment