Sunday, May 9, 2021

Celebrating Mother's Day with Moms of a Different Kind

 This Mother's Day was a very special one! We spent it with moms of a different kind. All I wanted for today was a little bit of nature time. Given that May 8th was Global Big Day we went birding in San Elijo Lagoon (my favorite birding spot in SD). So for today we decided we will go to a place we haven't been to in many, many years. When my daughter was a toddler we used to go to the Scripps Ranch Library + Pond often. Since we moved away, we only ever went there for her annual piano recitals and since the last two were online, we haven't been there in ages! 

This is how I spent my Mother's Day - in the company of mothers of different species! I never really paid attention to bird mothers during Mother's Day before although May is the perfect month for rearing the young. As we took a stroll around the pond we encountered many moms with newborns and it was such a delight.


Here is a Mallard mom watching over her 5 chicks while simultaneously warding off unwanted attention from a fairly obnoxious male who was after her. Bravo dear lady!


And then we ran into a Pied-Billed Grebe mom on her nest. We didn't see the eggs, but am sure she was keeping them warm as the weather was getting a bit chilly around sunset.

 
 And as we turned around the corner, we saw another Mallard mom with 3 of her chicks. She had them all tucked under her when she decided maybe it was time for a swim lesson after all.
 
 
 

I know, I know this last one is probably not the greatest of moms! My daughter once broke into tears when she saw how harshly coots treat some of their little ones. But today in the spirit of Mother's Day we were not going to judge anyone and their mothering styles. So we were happy to note that even the Coot showed her tender side (even though she appeared to favor one of the chicks).



And so here I am thrilled to have spent Mother's day in the company of these moms and my very own chick. I thought about how quickly time flies! She used to take unsure steps near this very pond more than a decade ago. Since then she has taught me to love birds and care about other species and I could not have asked for a better Mother's Day gift than what she has taught me over the years and the joy she gives me by coming out to bird with me.





No comments:

Post a Comment