Saturday, March 28, 2009

On Fathers and Daughters

As I sat thinking about the beautiful friendship I shared with my dad, I suddenly realized that maybe that was the reason i was drawn to certain novels which portrayed this relationship very well.

So here is my list of characters(both fathers and daughters) which I think all fathers and daughters who (want to) share this unique bond could easily identify with, making these novels a must read for them!

1) Atticus and Scout in "To Kill a Mocking Bird"
2) Mr.Bennett and Lizzy in "Pride and Prejudice"
3) Paresh Babu and Lolita in Tagore's "Gora"
4) Dr.Gibson and Molly in "Wives and Daughters"
5) Mr.Caleb Garth and Mary in "MiddleMarch"

While all the daughter characters were quite different from each other, the father characters all shared a few things in common. They were all
  • Calm and collected even under extreme stress
  • Men of high integrity and values
  • Highly respected for the above 2, despite being not the richest or most powerful person in their community
  • Very respectful of their daughter's opinions while at the same time providing the much needed stability/support in their lives
My dad was all of the above to me and I hope my husband will be the same for my daughter. After all as Spencer Tracy remarks in "Father of the Bride" (which incidentally was the movie my dad and I watched before my own wedding), "My son is my son till he gets a wife, My daughter is my daughter all my life"

So here's to all the Fathers and Daughters of the world!

That's a wrap!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Paddy, Loved the quote, still I wont agree :)
    Nice Blog, loved the title, nice touch ...being a mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written..... and again I dont agree ! There are 'exceptions', if you want to call it that !!!

    ReplyDelete