Thursday, January 9, 2014

Not ready to accept defeat .... yet

It has been 4 years since i started the OBOC project, and i am still only a little more than half way through. Since then as it has been kindly pointed out, I realized a number of others have been doing the same thing, and recently Ann Morgan did 197 books in 1 year while, just like me, holding a full time job! Kudos to her, and her idea of getting books from readers around the world. I have exclusively relied on the public library system here in the US which is pretty amazing, still not complete.

It calls for a special kind of discipline to be doing a project like this and frankly I don't seem to have it. I have often gotten bored, felt stifled by the project, experienced withdrawal symptoms from not reading my favorite authors and picked up a number of other books, including children's literature which was a goldmine that i stumbled upon thanks to my 8 year old, instead of focusing exclusively on OBOC. So, should I give up? I thought about it long and hard for about 5 mins and concluded, no. I am doing mainly for exposing myself to literature and culture from around the world. This can be a lifetime quest, so what's another year to OBOC :)

On that note, just wrapped up "How to get filthy rich in Rising Asia" by Mohsin Hamid the brilliant and funny writer from Pakistan. His Reluctant fundamentalist had received rave reviews, but I decided to pick up this one as i was intrigued by the concept of a Self Help Book, a category that i absolutely loathe. Although not set in any particular country in Asia, it is self-evident that he is inspired by Pakistan and for me, the setting could have just as well been in any town in India. Written in second person and structured like a self help book it tells the rags to riches to moderately-comfortable life of the unnamed protagonist who had the small luxury of having moved to the city and receiving basic education - both of which are critical elements for breaking through in the new Asia.

It is a very colorful account that captures the excitement of the burgeoning middle class in Asia and how one breaks the poverty cycle by hook or crook in an attempt to get ahead. Of course this involves a lot of personal sacrifice - time, money, morals, health and love, and our protagonist hasn't a moment of rest or peace until the end arrives.

By not naming any character, or city Mohsin Hamid has created a novel that is representative of the millions in Asia that are trying everyday to break the poverty cycle.If Hamid was trying to make a statement against globalization or marketization I failed to grasp that from the novel. I found myself caught up in the life of our unnamed hero and even when he was selling expired goods or packaging tap water as bottled water, I didn't feel like completely giving up on him. Although I can't condone his actions I can claim to understand him. When corruption is rampant at all levels what is our poor hero to do?

It is a short novel (more a novella) and an easy and quick read, almost a page turner. I think one can expect more exciting works from Mohsin Hamid as he certainly has a pulse on his native Pakistan.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're not throwing in the proverbial towel. You have introduced me to a great many books I would not otherwise have heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete