Monday, June 1, 2009

Food on my mind

Food is on my mind these days (Nope not because I am trying to get back into my jeans from 2004 …although that would be a bonus). Next to spending time with my family, culinary activities occupy most of time at home. These days even the books I’ve been reading all tie in to food somehow. Blame it on self selection, but even as I am listening to Joe Campbell’s lectures on mythology, I find myself fascinated by the plant mythologies and the rituals associated with food! Looking back on growing up in India, all that I remember of the festivals is the food my mom prepared which were specific to the celebration... back to JC’s point about how the mere act of eating is actually participating in a timeless ritual!

Of course all of this new found appreciation for food began with trying to feed wholesome, nutritious yet tasty meals to our pre-schooler. I am one of those dying breeds that still home cooks 2 fresh meals everyday. I believe that the freezer in a refrigerator is just a waste of space! Open the freezer at our home and what you will see is an eclectic mix of things – Indian spices and mixes, maybe a few “emergency” foods (all organic of course), a couple of pressure cooker gaskets (don’t ask why!) and the odd science experiment cups from my daughter which holds frozen water, milk, soup….!!!

To some members of my extended family eating is nothing more than a metabolic activity that one has to do to sustain life and to others it is a sensory pleasure. (You could almost tell to which category one belonged just by the size of ther waistline!) I am now convinced it is far greater than that. The what, when, why and hows of food has cultural, political, ethical, moral and spiritual implications which are all interconnected and these days I am trying to unravel a few of these complicated relationships with a few experiments of my own.

Many thanks to all my friends who introduced me to the joys of shopping at a farmer’s market, participating in a CSA and trying my hand at container gardening. I hope to write about these “experiments” and their progress here.

Until next time, enjoy your meal and "Blueberries" by Robert Frost

That's a wrap! (pun intended :))


Blueberries

"You ought to have seen what I saw on my way
To the village, through Mortenson's pasture to-day
Blueberries as big as the end of your thumb
Real sky-blue, and heavy and ready to drum
In the cavernous pail of the first one to come
And all ripe together not some of them green
And some of them ripe! You ought to have seen!"

1 comment:

  1. hey you, wanted to read something so as i sometimes do when i m sure i dont want junk, i opened your blog and went back all the way to 2009! :-) please start writing and publishing again!

    ReplyDelete